Island Destinations.

You'll find useful travel tips, fun travel trivia, amazing destinations and unusual ideas.

Contact us to help you follow your perfect dream as we create and care for your perfect vacation.



Friday, November 28, 2014

The Ever Stand Laquerware Workshop in the Village of Myinkaba

Known for fine laquerware since  the time of King Anawratha in the 11th Century, watching these talented artists at work it seems as though time has stood still .I have a brand new respect for these talented craftsman who make such beautiful creations from bamboo and horsehair.
Horsehair and bamboo base  creates a flexible cup

Carving a laquerware urn. When I exclaimed that I would love to find  one of their knives for my own pottery sculpting, my driver arrived the next morning having made me one.

Delicate carving by a lass who looked no older than 12.


Cutting the bamboo strips to size.

Fashioning it into shape.

Triming the bamboo to a smooth surface. 
Applying the laquer that comes from trees.


7 layers of laquer applied to each tray and allowed to dry for a week between each coating.

The Patriach of  Ever Stand Laquerware with his color wheel
Washing and cleaning process.




I bought four hand carved cups of horsehair and bamboo for just $8.00 following 3 months of creation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment