Island Destinations.

You'll find useful travel tips, fun travel trivia, amazing destinations and unusual ideas.

Contact us to help you follow your perfect dream as we create and care for your perfect vacation.



Friday, November 21, 2014

Bogyoke Aung San Market, a.k.a. Scott's Market in Yangon and my charming guide, Lay Maung, wearing the traditional longhi. .

Scott's market, officially named  Bogyoke Aung San Market  has really never changed it's name - the locals still refer to it by it's colonial name, they say it's easier to pronounce.   With over  2000 stalls, each with their own charm,and welcoming owners, I never felt overwhelmed with pressure to buy, although the prices were so good it was hard to keep a cool head.

I did buy 5 jade bracelets for $5.00 and receive  compliments wherever I go,  now I'm angry at myself for not buying more

School is free for all, yet  a school teacher makes $100.00 per month. whereas my guide makes $50.00 per day and a bell boy in a hotel makes $400.00 per month. Taxes vary from 10-37% according to your profession not your earnings.






No comments:

Post a Comment