Island Destinations.

You'll find useful travel tips, fun travel trivia, amazing destinations and unusual ideas.

Contact us to help you follow your perfect dream as we create and care for your perfect vacation.



Thursday, November 27, 2014

Sunset over the Bagan Plains

The day I set off to view the sunset the clouds rolled up and there was no spectacular cloud formations or color  to gaze upon,  but ....serendipity saved the day. The people interaction far surpassed any view.

I came across two ways to see the sunset.

 The first, sedately enjoying a sundowner under charming handmade Burmese umbrellas on a knoll overlooking the pagodas and temples, which I found a little sterile, so under the direction of my guide we  climbed the Shwesandaw  Pagoda.


 Charming, delightful, authentic,yes,   but I was missing the interaction, the vibrancy  of the land, the heartbeat of the people

Climbing the pagoda can be challenging. Steep narrow, dark and lit with naked candles  make for a wary and cautious ascent and decent, but oh so worth it.

On my next trip to Bagan I'll prepare with ski excercises to ensure my legs can handle all the climbing.
Note the horse-drawn carriages as a preferred form of transportation



These children and their parents far surpassed any spectacular sunset. 

No comments:

Post a Comment