Island Destinations.

You'll find useful travel tips, fun travel trivia, amazing destinations and unusual ideas.

Contact us to help you follow your perfect dream as we create and care for your perfect vacation.



Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Malawi Mouse Boys

As I posted about events on the edge of Lake Niassa in Mozambique it got me thinking about the time I visited Lake Nyasa as it was then, now called Lake Malawi if you are in the country of the same name.

Back then Monkey Bay was the place to escape to, an 'unplugged' bit of heaven and in all my years of living in the United States I have only met one other person who has been there.    My husband and I had the most amazing time here on Lake Malawi where the monkeys indeed stole our clothes, but I digress; as  my purpose for this post  is about the weird foods other people eat. 

My thoughts turned to the Malawi Mouse Boys, who, as they strove to reach their own fame and fortune in the music world sold barbecued mice on sticks to passing travelers. 

...and then my thoughts turned to the Peruvian delicacy of  Guinea Pig which needs a whole 24 hours to prepare and the strange feeling I got at the thought that some nations eat other nations pets?

But maybe I'm guilty of eating the weirdest food of all  - Mopane Worms. Yes, they too are considered a delicacy throughout the whole of southern Africa. 

So I thought  I'd put together a list of  weird food that is eaten around the world and look forward to hearing from anyone about other delicacies they have eaten . 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment