Island Destinations.

You'll find useful travel tips, fun travel trivia, amazing destinations and unusual ideas.

Contact us to help you follow your perfect dream as we create and care for your perfect vacation.



Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Yunnan, a botanical heaven

As a plant 'affectioni' , I've read  much about plantsmen who travel to China bringing back exotic new finds and always wondered where it is in China that they go, (I even have one of Dan Hinkley's rare finds in my own back yard, alas, I hate to admit that it's not doing too well.) but my trip to Yunnan to see 'THE OTHER CHINA' also opened my eyes to this botanical heaven that has given us so many of our well loved plants.
But it's not just the beauty of  the plants that was fascinating  but the advanced cross-over between plants and medicine  that is so prevalent.
Joseph Rock an Austrian American botanist spent many years in Yunnan based out of Lijiang  while working hand in hand with the Chinese Medicine man, Dr Ho who fondly remembers him.
 The early flowering Chinese plum who's perfume filled the air
 The yellow magnolia covered in snow when a rare snow storm came to visit while I was there. 

 Wild Yunnan Orange, I forget it's exact name - has an ugly skin but amazingly  sweet  and more cherry blossom trees.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment