Island Destinations.

You'll find useful travel tips, fun travel trivia, amazing destinations and unusual ideas.

Contact us to help you follow your perfect dream as we create and care for your perfect vacation.



Thursday, December 4, 2014

This....... is China?

Talk about having preconceived ideas and misconceptions! Mea Culpa,   but when I try to figure out what my pre-conceived ideas and expectations were  I realize they were a mélange of  concepts that created an impression far from the truth.

Unlike almost all international visitors, my first port of call into China was Kunming, (the gateway to mystical, alluring Yunnan Provence)  not the usual Beijing, Shanghai or Hong Kong arrivals. The relatively small airport that I was expecting to transit  had no less than 28 security lanes, each with at least 20 people deep.  As with the USA, one clears customs and immigration at the first port of entrance, then it was onto Beijing.

I was dreading coping with the air pollution..... but.... skies were blue and traffic almost non existent. I'd arrived during APEC week.  Factories had been closed for 3 weeks to clear the air,  offices were closed for the week of the meetings,  even numbered car license tags were only allowed to drive on even numbered days and the roads were eerily quiet.

Flush panel to modern day toilet.
I get to my room at the Waldorf Astoria hotel, walk into the bathroom and the toilet lid automatically raises. Take a closer look at the panel on the wall and find I have the option  rear cleanse, front cleanse, pulsating cleanse, dryer and even a heated seat.
    
.....Then ... I decided it was time to stretch my legs  before  retiring to bed and walked off down the street to find more Coco Chanel choices  than I have ever seen in Paris.

Chanel window shopping
More Chanel fashions

 It didn't take long to discover just how much the Chinese love Coco Chanel fashions and they bewitched me too. 

Gotta love the shoes

The colors
The Style


1 comment: