Island Destinations.

You'll find useful travel tips, fun travel trivia, amazing destinations and unusual ideas.

Contact us to help you follow your perfect dream as we create and care for your perfect vacation.



Tuesday, December 2, 2014

By the old Moulmein Pagoda, lookin' eastward to the sea, There's a Burma girl a-settin', and I know she thinks of me. ..Rudyard Kipling


When Kipling wrote those words could he have known the love and affection the Burmese population of Myanmar would show their pro democratic leader, Aung San Suu Kyi? I found everyone held her in high esteem. Five  million people have signed a petition asking for the consititution to be changed so that she can run for president in next year's elections..  but it doesn't look hopeful.

I set off on my journey to Myanmar with  excitement, I was visiting a land where time had almost stood still, little did I realize just how much it had stood still, and little did I realize the depth of my concern at how quickly all  that may change.

I knew I'd see temples, pagodas, stupas, meandering rivers, monks,  dusty cities, rural villages, thought I'd even see an elephant, but nothing had prepared me for the gentleness of the people, the innocence of the children's  faces, the beauty of the land, nor the talent of the artisans.


Nun's wear pink, Monks,  orange.

Ananda Retreat sailing the Ayeyarwardy

A few local words sure helped.
The following are my own phonetic spellings which seemed to work well.
Mingalaba - Welcome/Good morning/Hello
Jaysobay  - Thank you
Whare peepee - I have already bought.  
Golden stupas everywhere

Dragon fruit

captivating expressions




Economy based on natural gas, rice, teak and gemstones.
8 majority tribes, 135 minority tribes, 100 dialects and languages spoken
Schools teach English and Burmese.

Gold leaf artisans at work

How soon will change happen? 




Taxi's don't have meters, negotiate price prior to embarking your journey.
New US dollar bills after the year 2006 are accepted .
Credit cards are almost not accepted anywhere except in hotels.
ATM machines are few  but do work.
Longhi (not sarongs) are worn everywhere by men and women
Only need to pack flip flops as constantly removing shoes to enter pagodas.  

Internet works well in most  upscale  hotels otherwise, for now, consider it non existent.
Try a Burmese massage over a Thai massage. 
Take a horse-drawn cart ride. 
Eat a morning glory salad and wonder how soon you can return. 

2 comments:

  1. wow amazing…be sure to check out my giveaway today!
    Sherwood Park Hotel Suites

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firma seçimi, parça eşya taşıma hizme서울출장샵ti sunan firmalar arasında doğru tercih yapmanın önemli bir adımıdır

    ReplyDelete